Thursday, December 30, 2010

What is the Content of My Character?

Once again today, I watched the "I Have a Dream" Speech by Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4AItMg70kg). While his speech is often referred to in discussions of racial prejudice, I was thinking today that it was likely deeper than that. Near the end, he adds religious references as well.
I think he must have hated ALL forms of prejudice. I reaffirmed that I feel the same way, but the worst prejudice is any one that I allow myself to feel.  I've added this to my list of future blog topics, so we'll come back to that another day.
The question I was asking myself today was, "What is the Content of my Character?" This was fueled specifically by Dr King's dream that his children would one day live in a country where they would not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I immediately hoped the same for my children. In fact, I wanted the same for me, too.
As the weight of what I was hoping for began to sink in, I realized that the "content of my character" might yield judgments I wouldn't be pleased with. I want my character to be worthy of the judgments I hope for, and I'll be looking more at myself as we start the new year. I won't go "public" with my character flaws for now, but I'm talking to myself about specifics. I'm sure the people that know me could fill some space here, but I'll hope for their kindness as I plead for mercy.
If you choose to consider your own character, please feel free to share any of your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment